Are There Any Activities That Should Be Avoided After Getting A Tattoo
VM: Activities like swimming, exercising, tanning, waxing and shaving should be avoided for ten to thirty days, depending on the size of the tattoo. Minimalistic tattoos don’t need longer than ten days, whereas a sleeve of tattoos would need at least one month.
CC: Chemically-treated water like that in swimming pools is not good for your tattoo, and natural bodies of water are worse. Also, exposing your new tattoo to direct sunlight can seriously damage the effect you’re going for with the ink, as it could become bleached or faded, or even blister. Sharp razors scrape over the fresh wound, and could strip off any healing scabs you’re getting before they’re ready to come off. So activities such as swimming, shaving, and exercising are not recommended for three to four weeks.
How Often Should I Moisturize My Tattoo
The Process of recovering your tattoo may vary depending on the size of your tattoo, your skin type, your diet, and many other factors. Your tattoo artist will be your best advisor for your individual experience. The process of recovering your tattoo may also vary depending on the size of your tattoo. Generally, it takes a month to recover the upper layer of the tattoo and the underneath layer may take an even longer time. It is suggested that Tattoo Ointments are used 2 to 3 times a day to moisturize your tattoo. Read more about How often to moisturize my tattoo.
Take Your Medication As Prescribed
Certain types of medication are especially important for lowering stroke risk. These include blood pressure medications, diabetes medications, cholesterol medications , and medications to prevent blood clots, such as aspirin and blood thinners. If youve been prescribed any of these medications, continue taking them as prescribed by your doctor.
Recommended Reading: Treatment After Laser Tattoo Removal
How To Take Care Of A Tattoo:
- Head Tattoo Aftercare Instructions: While youre preparing to get a head tattoo, you need to know that the process of recovering a head tattoo is delicate. Head Tattoo Aftercare is important to take seriously as this is the area of your skin where hair follicles grow and this makes the process very different from any other tattooed body part. After the first few days of having your head tattooed, the cleansing process is fairly easy, but when the hair starts to grow, the area of the colored skin becomes prickly. This not only causes itching, but also pushes the ink upwards. Applying head tattoo aftercare products can also be difficult as hair begins to grow in the area. Keeping your head tat clean with Tattoo Soap and applying Tattoo aftercare ointment sparsely is essential, and must be done carefully. This helps the scabs come out and you may see exfoliation of dandruff-like colorful particles. Be gentle when washing, and this will assist the traumatized skin to recover easily.
- Elbow Tattoo Aftercare Instructions: Getting an elbow tattoo can be a challenge because this is the area of your body that lacks air circulation. You need to make sure that when you get yourself inked in the elbow area you wear clothes that would allow the tattoo to breathe, but also not be in direct sunlight. Of course, be sure to apply a trusted Tattoo aftercare ointment to help the area of your skin recover faster by staying adequately moisturized.
What Kind Of Ointment Should I Use
This is somewhat of a hot-button issue for tattoo artists and collectors alike. Some people swear by using a medicated ointment like polysporin to speed up the healing process, while others stick with good old fashioned Vaseline. Still others insist that vitamin E oil or cream is the best option, and most recently people have discovered that non-scented, hydrating creams may work best.
You May Like: Dating A Guy With Tattoos
Things To Avoid During The Tattoo Recovery Process
Avoid touching the tattooed skin area
Avoid wearing clothing that may cause excessive rubbing to the area during the recovery process
Avoid exposure to the sun, especially in the first month after getting a new tattoo
Avoid submerging the area of your tattooed skin in water for at least 2 weeks
Avoid touching the area of your skin, even if it is itchy, applying Tattoo aftercare ointment can help alleviate itchiness
Avoid removing the plastic for the first few hours
A detailed description of your tattoo care is mentioned above. However, when it comes to the tattoo recovery process, the rate of a tattoo recovery can vary depending on the condition of the skin and the specific area of your body where you have inked yourself. Each skin has a different degree of sensitivity, which contributes to the recovery process of a fresh tattoo. It is important to note that the recovery process also varies from person to person, as a person’s skin condition and type can be very different from one another. So don’t compare your recovery process to one of your tattooed friends.
As you can see in the illustration, there are various body parts on which you can get inked. It is important to understand the process of tattooing after care and tattooing the specific body part in which you get tattooed.
What If My Tattoo Gets Infected
With proper care and a reputable artist, you should be able to avoid infections, but that doesn’t mean that they don’t happen rarely. If you suspect your tattoo might be infected, seek medical help immediately. Signs it’s time to call your doctor: fever, chills, pus coming out of the tattoo, red lesions or streaks and raised skin around the tattoo.
Also Check: Does The Air Force Allow Tattoos
What Is The Outlook
Although youll never be able to eliminate all of your stroke risks, there are things you can do to reduce certain risk factors and increase your chance of living a long, healthy, stroke-free life. Here are some tips:
- Work with your doctor to manage your diabetes and other stroke risk factors, such as hypertension and high cholesterol.
- Limit your alcohol consumption.
The Previous One Or Two Weeks:
Your tattoo should be primarily healed in 7-10 days. The soreness and redness should have subsided. If there is still redness around your tattoo, it could be infected. It would be best if you went to your nearest tattoo parlor.
It will feel like a sunburn and will peel like one as well. Allow it to peel off naturally rather than attempting to force it. Some scabbing is normal. Keep in mind not to scratch it. Your tattoo will begin to fade slightly. This is due to some of the ink from the tattoo washing out. Dont be alarmed this is entirely normal.
More ointment should be applied to the tattoo. It is best to use the lotion first thing in the morning. Throughout the week, your tattoo will peel a little more.
Recommended Reading: Fine Line Tattoo San Diego
How Long Does It Take For A Tattoo To Heal
After getting a tattoo, the outer layer of skin will typically heal within 2 to 3 weeks. While it may look and feel healed, and you may be tempted to slow down on the aftercare, it can take as long as 6 months for the skin below a tattoo to truly heal.
Skin around larger tattoos takes longer to recover and certain factors, like picking at the scabs, not moisturizing, forgoing SPF, or using a lotion with alcohol may slow the process.
Generally speaking, the stages of tattoo healing can be divided into four distinct stages, and the care for your tattoo changes slightly depending on the stage.
Wait For The Tattoo To Heal
It may take your tattoo some time to heal, so it is essential you stay calm, take care of your tattoo, and let it heal completely. The majority of tattoo artists will let you know the estimated time you can expect your tattoo to heal, but the time usually revolves around 6 weeks, depending on the size and type of the tattoo.
For example, colored tattoos take longer to heal than black & white ones, or if theres any trauma to the skin, you can also expect the healing process to last longer.
You should also be aware of the fact that the tattoo will become itchy and uncomfortable, so you need to control yourself and not scratch it, or peel and pick it! Here are some other tips to follow if you want your tattoo to heal fast
- Avoid prolonged exposure to the sun
- Avoid working out or doing strenuous work
- When exposed to the sun, make sure to wear sunscreen
- Wear loose clothes over the tattoo
- Apply a small amount of ointment or lotion putting too much can suffocate the skin and cause healing issues
- Stay away from water and swimming
- Avoid covering the tattoo with sunblock until its healed
You May Like: Best Lotion To Keep Tattoo Looking New
Coconut Oil And Tattoo Aftercare
Polynesian people, such as Samoans, have long used coconut oil on their tattoos. They apply it after the tattoo is completed or when it heals. One supposed benefit is that it makes the design shine.
Some websites claim that coconut oil keeps the skin under your tattoo moist and protects against infection. Yet evidence is anecdotal, and theres no scientific proof that it works.
Check with your doctor before putting coconut oil or any other unproven products on your tattoo.
For the first few days after you get your tattoo, your skin may be red, itchy, and sore. You may notice excess ink, along with blood and fluid, leaking from your skin. This is normal.
If you begin experiencing symptoms of any of the following complications, see your doctor:
Follow The Advice Of Your Tattoo Artists
In most cases, advice for tattoo aftercare varies from the tattoo parlor to parlor. Even so, an artist in the same store suggests different ideas or advice. So, after complete your tattoo without any doubt strictly follow the advice of your tattoo artists. You may also collect the printed advice leaflet of your artist.
Wash the tattoo within a few hours of the complete tattoo. Wrap your tattoo immediately after having a tattoo for the first 2 to 5 hours. Then remove the wrap carefully and wash the whole tattoo with mild liquid soap and warm water. Apply moisturizing cream with a thin layer
After complete your tattoo washing process, put in moisturizing cream with a thin layer. Use that moisturizing cream which is recommended by your artists. Maybe your artists would advise you to continue the cleaning process at least 3 to 5 times a day. Dont use a moisturizer which is not recommended by your tattoo artists.
Read Also: How To Remove Tattoos In Gta
Risk Of Having A Tattoo
There is a risk of having an infection and other physical complications after having a tattoo including
Allergic reactions Different color tattoo dyes may cause an allergic reaction on your body. For example, you may have an itchy rash at the site of your tattoo.
Skin infection and different skin problem after tattooing you may have an infection and also may have a skin problem like keloids and overgrowth of scar tissue, etc
Bloodborne diseases You may have blood born disease, if your artists used that equipment which is contaminated with infected blood, including hepatitis B, hepatitis C, etc.
MRI complications as tattoo are permanent art, which may cause burning in the affected areas during the time of MRI exam.
So, if you experience any type of allergic reaction, infection and other types of skin problem, then you might need medication or other medical treatment.
The Medusa Philtrum Piercing Guide: Everything You Want To Know
- 46 hours after you have been tattooed, wash with an unscented hypoallergenic soap and a clean, non-fluffy face cloth.
- Make sure the water isn’t hot and be as gentle as humanly possible.
- After this first washing, you should plan to wash your tattoo at least twice a day until it is completely healed.
- Do not soak your tattoo! Showers are fine, but baths, pools, and hot tubs are big no-nos.
Recommended Reading: Top Rated Tattoo Shops In Fayetteville Nc
Before You Come In For Your Consult
Please have a good idea of what you are after when you email me for the waiting list or come in for your consultif you are not sure then at least be open to my suggestions so we dont waste each others time. We have a vast library of Japanese reference material, fonts and motifs on hand so dont worry.. well find something if you are unsure! Being open-minded is key. If you have gathered your own reference material for your tattoo idea, please bring it. It is hard for us to read your mind.. but we are working on it! ????
We do not have EFTPOS or credit card facilities at the shop so please bring cash to leave as a deposit. Ask how much when booking your consult.
Please be on time. If you are more than 15 minutes late you will have to reschedule
All consult are free of charge.
Caring For Your New Tattoo
It is essential your new tattoo is kept clean, allowed to breathe, and the skin kept slightly moist during the healing process. We have outlined the general instructions on caring for your tattoo.
- Wash the tattooed area, twice a day , using an antibacterial soap with warm water Dab or blot dry the skin gently.
- With clean hands, apply a small amount, creating a thin layer, of anti-bacterial ointment 2-3 times a day for 3 to 4 weeks. Any of the following will work: Vitalitree, A& D, or Aquaphor.
- Do not swim, soak in a hot tub, or take a bath for two weeks after getting your tattoo. Also, avoid tanning.
- Do not scratch your tattoo It will itch during the healing process. This process can last up to two weeks.
Also Check: Maybelline Tattoo Studio Brow Gel How To Use
How To Clean & Wash Your New Tattoo
Keeping your new tattoo clean and free of germs is essential. Make sure you wash your hands thoroughly before touching your new tattoo. Then proceed to clean the area using the steps below:
Is The Aftercare Routine The Same For All Tattoos
Short answer no, the aftercare routine is NOT the same for all tattoos, and your tattoo artist should explain that thoroughly. The aftercare routine differs in regards to the tattoo style.
For example, simple black and white tattoos dont require as much aftercare as colored or portrait tattoos since theyre not too damaging to the skin.
Lets take at some other examples of how the aftercare routine differs from tattoo to tattoo
- Line and dot style tattoos are usually covered with saran wrap since the skin doesnt need to be sealed for too long. But the wrap should stay on at least overnight the longer it stays on, the faster will the tattoo heal, and the brighter it will turn out.
- Colored tattoos should only be washed with hands. So, avoid using anything abrasive to clean and wash the tattoo. Create some soap suds with your hand and gently wash the tattooed area. After youre done, pat the tattoo to dry, using a paper towel. This process could be applied to all types of tattoos since it is the best approach to aftercare.
- Black or grey tattoos need to be washed by lathering the soap into the tattoo as well. They should also be moisturized twice a day once in the morning and once in the evening. You should only apply a very thin layer of moisturizer to avoid skin suffocation and clogging.
Don’t Miss: Black And Grey Traditional Tattoo
The Benefit Of Using Tattoo Aftercare Ointments
Improve appearance aftercare ointments help to protect colors and designs of a tattoo to maintain the new look of the tattoo.
Nourishes skin Many aftercare lotions are formulated with vitamins and nutrients to expedite and enhance the process of tattoo healing.
Prevents infections tattoo aftercare ointments use to moisturizing the tattooed area to stop scabs from forming to prevent the spread of bacteria
Relieves irritation tattoo aftercare ointments also helps to reduce rashes, itchiness and another type of skin-irritant conditions.
How to take care of a tattoo? All of these above answers in this article for this question does not represent medical advice, we just try to advise you as the need for peoples information purpose.
People believe that after complete the total healing process, they dont need to care for their tattoo and that is a completely wrong idea. You should keep your tattooed as hydrated as you can and as well-nourished as you can.
Basically moisturizing lotions help to prevent the tattoo from faded and looking distorted as it ages. Among lots of tattoo care products, choosing the best one is confusing for you. So you may stick to the products all that is mentioned above.
Hope that from this article you could get a proper instruction of tattoo aftercare guideline. So make a routine to take care of your tattoo to keep your tattoo fresh for a long time with an attractive look.